I got a wormery just after we moved into our flat, and have been happily feeding it most of the contents of our kitchen ever since. It has greatly reduced the amount of waste we shove into bin liners every week, and I like the idea that we will get some compost out of it eventually for the garden. The only problem is that it appears to be full. A few weeks ago I attempted to remove the top layers of potato peelings and other matter, to investigate the compost situation. The whole thing was brimming with liquid, so my quest for compost was sadly thwarted.
The main product of the wormery is worm juice. I was reliably informed that it would be available about 8 weeks after starting the wormery off, but was disappointed when none was forthcoming. Then about 2 months later, we got some! If you have been reading this blog for a while you will not be surprised to learn that this was a very exciting day. But I was worried that the worms were now drowning.
This morning, I ventured down to the garden with an empty lemonade bottle, to attempt to drain it slightly. What a haul!
I had to water the garden with the rest of the liquid, there was too much for a 1 litre bottle. I’m hoping that the worms haven’t all drowned, and now they’ve got a little more ‘wriggle room’, to coin a phrase, hopefully they’ll start working through the rest of the heap, and then it’s compost time!
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I am so cool.