Him Indoors has done it again! Here is the recipe for my favourite pie in the world. It is really amazing, especially with lots of bashed up cardamom pods and gratuitous bacon in the sauce.
Chicken and sweetcorn pie
For the pastry
200g / 8oz plain flour
100g / 4oz butter
2-3 tbsp water
a little milk for brushing the lid of the pie.
For the white sauce
50g / 2oz butter
50g / 2oz plain flour
300ml / half pint milk
For the rest of the filling
25g / 1oz butter
2 chicken fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
4 slices smoked bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 small tin sweetcorn
4 cardamom pods
1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Make the pastry: Mix the flour and butter together into a crumbly mixture. Add the water a little at a time and mix to a smooth dough. Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll the first out on a clean, floured surface using a well floured rolling pin and line the pie dish. Bake blind for 20 mins. Keep the other lump of dough wrapped in clingfilm in the fridge for now.
- Meanwhile make the filling: Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the chopped onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes. Finally add the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken pieces are golden brown. Drain and put to one side.
- Make a white sauce: In a small saucepan melt the butter on a gentle heat, and gradually stir in the flour to make a roux. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking as you go to avoid lumps.
- Open the cardomom pods with a sharp knife and discard the pod cases. Crush the middles using a pestle and mortar. Add the nutmeg and stir into the white sauce.
- Mix the chicken, bacon and onions into the white sauce. Drain the tin of sweetcorn. Add this in and mix well.
- Pour the filling into the cooked pastry case. Roll out the other piece of dough into a lid for the top of the pie. Brush with a little milk and bake for a further 45 minutes.
Also available here.